ANN MACBETH (BRITISH 1875-1948) VERY PROBABLY A STUDY OF ISADORA DUNCAN Gouache and charcoal, signed and dated 1912, 39 x 27cm (15.25 x 10.5") Inscribed with the Artist's address on the backing board Ann Macbeth belonged to the group of women artists and designers active in Glasgow in the late 19th and early 20th century, known as the Glasgow Girls. These remarkable women had attended the Glasgow School of Art and were central to the development of The Glasgow Style. After graduating from the Glasgow School of Art, Ann Macbeth became a member of staff, teaching embroidery, book binding, metalwork and ceramics; in 1908, she took over from Jessie Newbery as head of the department of embroidery and during this time produced important publications. She was a key part of the suffragette movement and was involved in the design and embroidery of their banners. She was also a skilled watercolourist and exhibited nationally and internationally. Many of her works are in Glasgow Museums’ collections, and in 2018, her ceramics and embroideries were exhibited at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, in their exhibition ‘Making The Glasgow Style’.
On close inspection there is what appears to be a vertical repair to the paper, approximately 2 centimetres in length, in proximity to the lower left corner area, the paper is generally slightly uneven in appearance, a few small spots of foxing observed and there are two small cracks in the thick white pigment located upper right area of the torso on the on the dress.